Loading...

The Centennial Kickoff Parade

It was not really my plan to go at the Centenial Kickoff today January 8, 2007. But since my friend at the dormitory decided to go, I accomp...


It was not really my plan to go at the Centenial Kickoff today January 8, 2007. But since my friend at the dormitory decided to go, I accompanied him to go at the Palma Hall to wait for the Grand Kickoff Parade, where I meet my UPDOSTSA friends and were the ones who I was with until the event ended.

Though the event was to celebrate the 100 years that was UP, I was fortunate enough to celebrate it with friends and schoolmates (highschool classmates) who happened to be there at the fair since contingents from the UP Manila, UP Los Banos and UP Baguio were there.

As the parade finished, we took a rest and glanced at the skies of Quezon Hall to see the skydivers flagging the UP campuses names on what it seems to be heaven. Torch lighting started and the first one to do it was the 100+ year old engineering UP alumni. And engineers have long lives! Haha. 100 years of excellence equate to a hundred torches signifying each year that the University of the Philippines was in existence.

After the lighting of the torch and the lighting of a hundred trees around the Oval was the most awaited part of the event, the Kickoff Concert. Breathers were filled up with the "Ang Galing Mo" Theme song, and the speaker having nice humor with the pesky audience at the rearside staircase of the stage.

Among the performers in the event were UP Los Banos chorale groups, which I have forgotten what they were called. They composed their own centennial song, also the soloist, and their Streetdance Club was also there.UP Manila's version of Filipiniana were there to add flavor in the affair too. But the untiring efforts of the UP Symphonic Orchestra, the UP Vocal Ensemble and the UP Pep Squad would have to top my list in the concert. They are extraordinary.

When the program was about to end, a sudden tambuli of what was a song familiar to every UP student was heard. I have never seen such pride and honor, this people were carrying althroughout the hymn. I was touched, it was an event that united all the UP alumni and students which allowed them to relive what makes them proud of UP.

The faces were overwhelming. Not in another hundred years will you see such extravagance in their face, as they turned back, bolts of lightning and lights of endless colors shine in the navy blue sky. A momentous and breath taking event it is, and I am so glad I was there when the celeb happened.

Truly, UP! Ang Galing Mo!
CWTS Geography 8674098570506134928

Post a Comment

Home item

ADS

Popular Posts

Random Posts

Flickr Photo